Consumer information on DirecTV
Based in Southern California, DirecTV is a major provider of satellite television service in the United States. The company launched operations in 1994, branding itself as a more affordable and convenient alternative to cable TV, with more channels and programming offerings. Today, DirecTV has over 35 million subscribers in the United States and it also operates in numerous Latin American countries.
Current DirecTV prices are tiered at various levels, and the cost of the service depends on the number of channels you want and the type of programming you plan to enjoy. Many of the company's satellite TV packages include bonuses like movies and sports, with specialized on-demand programming and support for multiple devices available.
An Overview of DirecTV Packages
The company offers five major English-language satellite television packages in the United States:
- Entertainment. This package comes with more than 140 DirecTV channels, as well as access to a large library of on-demand titles, a free HD DVR device, and free installation.
- Choice. The Choice package offers over 150 channels, as well as NFL Sunday Ticket, the HD DVR, and support for up to four additional viewing devices for a modest price upgrade over the Entertainment package.
- Xtra. Billed as the company's "best value," the Xtra package delivers over 205 channels, plus more movies, sports and entertainment options than the entry-level packages.
- Ultimate. Enjoy over 225 channels as well as DirecTV's Movie Lovers Package when you purchase the Ultimate package, which is available for a slight increase over the Xtra package.
- Premier. The company's most comprehensive TV package, the Premier package gives you access to over 295 channels plus the company's most complete list of bonuses and extras.
These packages are subject to change without notice and may or may not be available in your area. Check current offerings before switching to DirecTV.
DirecTV and Billing
One thing you should be aware of when it comes to DirecTV is the need to commit to a specified period of time, typically one to two years. If you decide to opt out of your service before that time, you may be asked to pay an early termination fee, and you may also be subject to other terms and conditions. Make sure you read and understand the fine print before finalizing your DirecTV package.
Got questions about audio, video or Internet cables? Wondering whether high-end cables are worth buying? Learn all about cable types, features and prices here: